Saturday, May 31, 2008

An intro is required

I’ve been thinking about a blog for over a year. When I was prepping for my wedding and marriage I thought it would be a great way to share ideas and discuss what goes on in the weeks and months leading up. Then, once I was married and moved 13 hours away from friends and family, I thought it would be a good idea to use a blog to keep everyone informed on what Ted and I were up to. What I felt I was really lacking was a central theme for my blog. I wanted to talk about everything, but when I have that much creative space I usually end up talking about nothing.

I finally figured out something that is specific, yet broad enough that I’ll never run out of things to say. Money. Specifically, managing finances. After getting married I’ve become really enthusiastic about budgets, shopping lists and high interest savings, things that before I was married really didn’t matter to me. After doing some casual research, and talking to friends and family, my eyes are open as to how much I have to learn and how much discipline I lack when it comes to money habits.

I read somewhere that there are two ways to improve your finances: make more, or spend less, but there’s a lot of creativity and wisdom people put in to saving and spending. I’ve read blogs where stay at home moms make money stretch farther than I could possibly hope to, and articles about money tips that are common sense to most, but not so much to me.

So as I learn, I’ll share. And hopefully ask lots and lots of questions.
And of course, I’ll include the obligatory share from life, work and marriage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a friend of mine has said on many occasions, "too soon get old, to late get smart." At least now you have taken that first step which is to recognize that wow...money doesn't grow on trees. Congratulations...B.

Anonymous said...

Good choice of topic. It's a worthy endeavor and something that others will relate to. Narrowing of theme is hard, but always wise.